Saturday, February 18, 2012

Little Book of Proverbs


A small review, this shall be. But one that holds truth for each reader to see. I was just going through my library and I came across this tiny little book, which belonged to my mum back in the 70s (maybe even older). Taking only two minutes to read, Little Book of Proverbs is a cute little book, containing a little collection of proverbs, most of which I had never heard before, selected by Dean Walley with wonderful little illustrations by Pat Paris. 
Proverbs are interesting little things aren’t they? Little sentences or, in this book’s case, little rhymes that seem like nothing on the written page, but actually hold some strong lines by which to guide one’s life; socially, politically, and morally. 
There were quite a few that really spoke to me; ones that I shall certainly remember and instil in my children should I ever have them. 

If you would reap praise 
You must sow the seeds: 
Gentle words 
And useful deeds

That says to me, kindness and constructiveness are the two keys to gaining recognition and praise; be it emotional or material. 

A true friend in the best possession

Well that one speaks for itself entirely. 

What we call luck 
is simply pluck 
And the doing things over and over; 
Courage and will, perseverance and skill, 
are the four leaves of Luck’s clover. 

Luck is simply a word that illustrates our own ability to attempt a task and try until we succeed. 

Anger is never without a reason, 
But seldom with a good one. 

Truer words have neve never been spoken. 

And I think this one would have to be my favourite, I know exactly how it feels: 

Solitude is very sad: 
Too much company’s twice as bad

Fewer problems are caused when one is alone. When surrounded and engulfed by a crowd, one’s feelings bombard one another and things can easily get out of hand. 
Little Book of Proverbs is a quaint and cute little read, which probably is no longer in print: a sadness. I gained some knowledge and strong guidelines from it and will be content to live my life by them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment