Saturday, January 14, 2012

Jane Eyre


Written by Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre has definitely earned its place as one of my all-time favourite tales. It’s both a challenging and wondrous read and one that I found and I could understand as I went along. With many books, it’s not until I’ve finished reading that I understand what has happened and why it’s so good, but with this particular book, I found that I could understand its happenings completely and, therefore, exclaim and react in the moment and not out of reflection. I think upon walking to work and reading this book, I may have startled some of the civilians of Willoughby as I rather loudly exclaimed in various frenzies of romantic and suspenseful delight. I found myself at work constantly checking my watch to see if my break time was approaching so I could dive right back into it. I LOVE THIS BOOK! 

Jane Eyre is a plain but passionate orphan girl who grew up to be a contented and loved woman. Orphaned at a young age, she has grown up in a household that did not approve of her and then attended a strict boarding school. Now, at the age of eighteen, she has left school and gone out into the world to seek employment. She soon becomes the governess at Thornfield Hall and upon arriving; Mr. Rochester, the mansion’s brooding and solemn master instantly intrigues her. Jane soon finds herself falling in love with him, but there are secrets and a curse that clings to Mr. Rochester, a curse that he would prefer to keep hidden from Jane. 

I think what I particularly loved about this book is that there are so many perspectives from which you can look at certain aspects of it. I’m not afraid to let everyone know that I was moved down from Advanced English in my HSC because what I did best was interpret underlying meanings of the text (something that Drama students naturally want to do I was told). I could not look at stories from different perspectives, but maybe if we had studied Jane Eyre, I might have got it. 
The story is written in the first person, from the perspective of the heroine, and essentially it is almost like her memoirs or autobiography. Bronte writes to both tell a story and include the reader, which is achieved by Jane’s occasional personal address to the reader, addressing them and then asking questions of them. 
On a shallow level, the major appeal of the tale is one of romance; it is a love story and a very beautiful one to be sure. But underneath that, women in particular, will read this book and fall head over heels in love with its heroine because she is actually a bit of a feminist. I think the Bronte sisters have always been seen in that light, though not as strongly as people like Germaine Greer. The character of Jane is a really admirable one as she contentedly conforms to her social stature, but then she sees no difference between men and women and she expresses as such. There is a great strength to Jane that I, and I’m betting a lot of other women in the world, wish to possess, because even in today’s society, it would be frightening to tease, torment, and snipe back at your employer. 
On the romantic side of the story, there is also strength to be found. It’s a true tale of love conquers all as Jane and Mr Rochester do not let social standing, wealth, or even age difference stand in their way. It’s awfully romantic. 
Filled with passion, suspense, romance, abuse, arson, and melancholy, Jane Eyre is a wonderful book that has quickly become one of my all-time favourites. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment